Let’s Get Started!
Professional coaching has become popular because it places emphasis on the individual, tailoring exploration, skills development, and practice to the unique needs of the executive. Coaching can help successful executives seeking to advance in their careers, do better in their current position, or change careers.
The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) (http://www.cipd.co.uk/) lists some characteristics of coaching in organizations that are generally agreed on by most coaching professionals:
- It consists of one-to-one developmental discussions.
- It provides people with feedback on both their strengths and weaknesses.
- It is aimed at specific issues/areas.
- It is a relatively short-term activity, except in executive coaching, which tends to have a longer timeframe.
- It is essentially a non-directive form of development.
- It focuses on improving performance and developing/enhancing an individual’s skills.
- It is used to address a wide range of issues.
- Coaching activities have both organisational and individual goals.
- It assumes that the individual is psychologically healthy and does not require a clinical intervention.
- It works on the premise that clients are self-aware, or can achieve self-awareness.
- It is time-limited.
- It is a skilled activity.
Personal issues may be discussed, but the emphasis is on performance on work.
Whether company-sponsored or contracted privately by an individual executive, coaching provides a targeted assessment of talents and challenges followed by individualized training, facilitation, practice, and evaluation toward established professional goals.
Margaret Sumption is an experienced executive coach who has worked with dozens of successful people. Margaret holds a master’s degree in guidance and counseling, is a licensed professional counselor (LPC), and is also a certified senior professional in human resources (SPHR). Her education, licensure, and certification, as well as her extensive experience, make her uniquely qualified to help professionals and executives.